Tuesday 23 October 2012

Debate Club part one

As the title explains, I participated in my very first debate tournament of my life. At my previous school, debate was not a priority. I joined it anyways yet we spent our lunches just going through rounds of improvisation. Nothing was exactly legitimate  We are given the resolution weeks beforehand and no one would prepare. It was just another mainstream club that involved nothing but a good label on a resume. Of course, my perspective of the debate club changed after attending the first information meeting at my new school. This information meeting covered everything from tournaments, to admission fees, to the tough application process.

The application process was the challenging part. You would fill in a google document and then submit your available interview times. They would piece together a schedule indicating your debate audition schedule. Within this audition, they may ask you questions regarding why you wanted to join and other cliche questions. The plot-twister, was the audition itself. They gave you a resolution, indicated whether you were proposition or opposition, then gave you 30 seconds to prepare. Afterwards, you were to elaborate on a 2 minute speech.

My audition topic was "THW ban zoos." I said the usual points: animals are trapped, they are exposed to human behavior  and it is bad for future evolution of the species. Frankly, my audition was terrible. I stuttered, I panicked. My face was red. My confidence was questionable. When I was notified that I was accepted into the debate club, I was extremely surprised.

The debate club was considered a prestigious club. It was either Debate or DECA. If you were in both, you were considered to be at the top of the well-rounded students level.

You may be wondering how this story is relevant to school tips. It's very straightforward.

  • Never. Look. Back
  • Always continue
  • Thrive for your best
  • and always look forward 
This has been part one out of two of my debate experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment