Sunday 16 September 2012

Homework Tip #2

You may have heard this from your teacher before but always check your work. Checking your work will always provide reassurance as well as a higher accuracy in your final mark. Especially in written assignments and tests, it's always beneficial to check your work. I used to never check my, I was confident that all my answers were correct. I was a top-of-my-class math students, always helping my peers, however when it came to tests, my marks weren't the greatest. I remember I used always get angry when a student I helped in math achieved a higher score than me on tests. The contents of the test were extremely easy, so I ended up underestimating the difficulty of the calculations. After a term of average marks, I was frustrated. I had finally realized the worth of checking my work. The following term, I took an extra fifteen minutes after completing assignments to check over my work. Whether it was answers, grammar mistakes, spelling, I never knew how easy it was to make errors. Soon after that, my average increased by an astounding ten percent! Take my word for it, checking your work will change your academic status. I started being the well-rounded student that I am today, after the change in my work habits.

Five things to check for

  • calculation errors
    • units used, operations used, if a number is written to look like another number
  • spelling errors
    • keyboards nowadays are deproving, companies are more focused on software than hardware, making  typing prone to mistakes
  • grammar errors
    • word-processing programs are not smart enough to detect grammar issues accurately. The only thing in this world capable of detecting grammar of this age is yourself
  • omisions
    • always work with a rubric or a list of expectations. make sure you did not omit anything
  • completion
    • similar to omision, always make sure you completed the work correctly. sometimes people miss a bubble in the scantron and end up filling the entire test with wrong answers.
Good Luck !

No comments:

Post a Comment